Situations where people may feel excluded:
- Card trading.
- Trading of more serious items.
- Being left out of an activity or not invited somewhere.
- Going to a film with brother and not asking a friend.
- Black/other ethnic child feeling left out of a group of predominantly white kids
What people do when they are watching something they’ve been excluded from:
- Discovering it on social media
- Stumble upon friends doing something they’ve arranged without telling
- Debate or ambivalence within yourself. Looking into distance – look away from object of envy
- Pretend disinterest – or create hostility.
- Do something stupid out of anger or frustration:
- Making a spectacle of someone
- See someone and confront them
- Leave and avoid the situation
- Continue watching from a distance
What groups do when an outsider appears as if they want to join
- Most of the group remain quiet – send an emissary
- Talk to each other skeptically
- Carry on as if they’re not there
- Invite him to join the activity
- Some people are hostile, but others are inviting – there is disagreement – schism
Outsider watching group revising/eating/playing – from a distance. Over the shoulder type shot.
// Cuts to Fantasy Scene 1b – where he’s with the others having a great time.
This time filmed with the group in the foreground who then leave together – one person remains and the outsider approaches. Friendly conversation – they are old friends, but one has started spending more time with the larger group.
Outsider plays skateboarding game/ Tech Deck.
Group actually skateboarding.
- Leaves alone
- Leaves alone but one guy from the main group breaks away and catches up with him – but they end up walking in opposite directions with a broken teK DeK symbolising his letting go of the desire.
- Skate park: A skater from the group gives the outsider a nod and gestures for him to join.
After a very interesting session where we explored real experiences of feeling jealous or excluded, the following are excerpts from the improvised scenarios that the filmmakers came up with as a result:
Group 1 Rushes:
A whole pile of rushes from group 2: